Daria's World - blog about people and things that matter the most

Monday, February 28, 2011

Friday at Samsula

Since I was already on the east coast of Florida for the last space shuttle Discovery launch, I decided to stay there another day, check out some other attractions and go to Samsula on Friday afternoon for the 2011 Florida Slovene Days at SNPJ Lodge 603.

The first thing that surprised me when I arrived to Samsula Hall was the 'Polka Avenue' sign. I thought that was very cute.
.
.
.
.
Friday polka fest turned out to be a great event. The place was packed with happy people, some were leaving while new ones kept coming in and there were not enough seats for everyone. The choice of foods was outstanding and "orehovi rogljički" was something I haven't seen in years so I had to try them and I have to admit they were delicious. Whoever made them, had to use the original traditional Slovenian recipe.
.
.
.
.
My son can never resist a "štrudelj" and he finished a piece so fast that I had to seriously intervene and confiscate the last bite before it was gone. The original agreement was that we would share both desserts... ;)
.
.
.
.
I met many wonderful people at Samsula Lodge and both former and present SNPJ National Secretaries were there: Grace Doerk and Karen Pintar.
.
.
.
.
As I said, the place was packed so I only managed to take one video of the jam session with Tony Klepec and friends. They were playing "Tam dol na ravnem polju," a traditional Slovenian folk song.
.
.

.
.

Next year I might go and stay at Samsula all three days for their 2012 Florida Slovene Days.
.
.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

May you be happy, healthy,
wealthy and safe.
May you live with ease.

Powered by WebRing.